Heimlich Maneuver

Well, I got to perform the Heimlich maneuver today in a restaurant. There was a commotion at a neighboring table, with someone yelling for a doctor. The victim was not able to speak or cough, and I asked the person holding him if he could do the Heimlich maneuver. He either didn't know or didn't understand my question, because he said "yes" and handed off the victim to me. So I gave him one instance of the maneuver, and he started to be able to talk. It worked!

Afterwards, I was shocked that no one at his table seemed to know the Heimlich; either that, or they were all panicking. Read up on your basic safety information...

3 comments:

Mr Crosson said...

Awesome! Well done!

Some famous chef (Alice Waters?) just wrote about being prepared to do the Heimlich in a Times Op-Ed piece recently.

P Cheng said...

Wow, congratulations for saving a life!

辛保山 said...

Impressive!